New Moon was not my favorite book. The whole thing, to me, is extremely depressing; as a mental health professional, it seems damaging to girls everywhere to portray this "broken" 18-year-old that has a hard time surviving without the supposed love of her life. However, it is part of this fictional story.
I went last night to see New Moon with Julie, one of my good friends and also a Twilight fan in the same caliber as me. I was expecting the movie to depress me and was prepared for it to be very dark - the setting, the scenes and dialogue, the clothes. Instead, the movie seemed to focus on many other aspects of the book. Sure, it showed Bella's depression, but it didn't linger there as I expected. I was pleasantly surprised with the direction and the camera shots. I thought that the wardrobe, makeup, and general being of the actors were more realistic in this one. While there were still bad wigs (especially for Jacob in the first part of the movie), the actors seemed at ease and not so scripted with everything they did. The werewolves' special effects were semi-believable for what they were. However, I did not like the fight scene between some of the Volturi members and Edward. It reminded me of the Matrix with the different tempos used to portray certain parts of the fight. I felt that sequence was a bit too much for this type of movie.
Overall, I thought New Moon was better than its predecessor. The material was darker, but I didn't feel that throughout the movie. The ending was amazing and not at all what I expected. Knowing this director was responsible for American Pie, I didn't have much faith at all in the direction. Weitz is far more talented than I gave him credit for. And I am looking forward to seeing it again...maybe over Christmas break when I can go during the day...
No comments:
Post a Comment