Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Magic City







"There's no place like home."
I am sure everyone says this about their hometown, but in my case, it is especially true. :) There really is no place like Birmingham. The longer I am away, the more I miss it. Most importantly, the more I appreciate it when I return for a visit. I know the great local restaurants and stores. I know the ins and outs of the streets and highways. It is more than simple familiarity. It is 27 years of memories - both good and bad - that have influenced the person I am.

The past three and a half years have found me several hours away from the only world I had known. I have grown in ways that even I didn't think was possible, and for quite a while, I took the journey kicking and screaming. At some point, I opened my eyes and realized how much I was sacrificing, how lucky I was to have the opportunities, and how grateful I should be for everything in my life. Navigating new cities has given me a new appreciation for knowing areas, not just street names. I have always been independent, but I had a safety net of family and friends close by. In Memphis and now in Durham, my family and friends are far away. I have become self-reliant in a new and better way, and I truly appreciate what being alone offers me (which is quite a lot actually). Being an introvert by nature has presented me with tons of challenges in meeting new people, making friends, and creating lasting relationships. Despite that, I have met people that I believe will be life-long friends. I've learned more than I can explain from books but much more from the people I have met and the experiences I have had along the way. There were stumbling blocks, and I made plenty of mistakes. I gave myself latitude to enjoy, experience, learn, love, and appreciate all these years have had to offer. I believe I now understand the true meaning of gratitude. 

I am looking forward to my next visit home. Back to the place where it all began.



2 comments: