Sunday, March 6, 2011

Born Free Tour

A couple of weeks ago, I went to see Jamey Johnson and Kid Rock in Greensboro. I expected a good concert but nothing spectacular, as I have seen some kick ass concerts over the years - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Eric Clapton, Black Crowes, Taj Mahal and Tom Petty, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Debbie Gibson, The Bangles, Hank Jr, Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac...and the list goes on. I was way wrong; I would say this concert ranks solidly in my top five concerts.

I took a ton of pictures. Here's a few of my faves:


The sunset on the drive over was beautiful.


The Born Free Tour...what you can't see quite as well is the large bird above the sign. It reminded me of the freebird that used to sit on Billy Powell's piano when Skynyrd played (and did not sing) Free Bird in concert.


The Junior Miller tshirt tipped me off that this guy was going to be interesting. I was right.


The video clips were awesome. At multiple points during the show, there were pictures and videos shown on this screen. At other times, the screen showed up close views of Bobby and the band. Oh, and the strippers too. This was the beginning of the introduction for Bobby... And we didn't sit down for over two hours!


The beginning... check out the cow skull with the horns. It only got better.


And by better, I mean there was fire. And lots of it. I felt the heat where I was, and I was 50-60 yards away from the stage.


Here's the infamous coat and hat that were lit like the American flag.


Good tunes, Jim, and a lawn chair. Awesome.


During the "Fucking Forty" birthday song that he performed at his 40th birthday party earlier this year in Detroit. Good song - it'll be my anthem in a few years.


To answer the question that some of you are thinking - No, I did not try to get backstage or find the tour bus. I REALLY wanted to...but I didn't want to get arrested. I had to work the next day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment