Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thank You...

...to all of you that checked in with me to make sure I survived the bad weather in Memphis a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, my Dad helped me move, and we arrived in Birmingham Thursday night ahead of the bad weather in Memphis on Friday and Saturday. I am a lucky girl -- I made it out of Memphis without being robbed, carjacked, or hurt, and my car wasn't broken into at all. Apparently, that's unheard of for the amount of time I stayed in the city. Needless to say, I am grateful to be out of there. One trip back to defend my dissertation...

The past couple of weeks have consisted of moving/shuffling boxes around in my parents' house so that I can stay here without feeling like I'm in an episode of "Hoarders." I can walk around, even if I can't find everything exactly when I need it. They are very gracious to allow me to stay here.

I have completed zero work on my dissertation, which I will try to remedy towards the end of the week. It's extremely important to do a lot of work because I will have two large distractions soon - (1) a week long trip to Durham to look for an apartment and a side-trip to Wilmington and the beach for a vacation :) , and (2) my Dad and I just found a 1955 Chevy Bel Air and purchased it yesterday. It's been sitting for about 30 years; while that means it's an amazingly kept car, it is also in pieces because the now former owner never reassembled it after having it painted. We should have it by the beginning of next week, so I have to get busy this weekend and make some dissertation progress.

About internship: I think I have settled on living in Durham, NC. While I think I would appreciate renting a house closer to work and having a more country experience, I don't believe I'd be able to meet a lot of people without being in the "thick of things," so to speak. So...I have selected five apartment complexes and a couple of buildings with lofts in Durham that I want to look at while I'm there, in the hopes of finding one that I like and will sign a lease on. I'll let you know what I discover!

More news to come next week - including pictures of the car!

PS: Something funny from lunch yesterday after buying the car:

Me: "I've only owned 4 cars in my life." (Went in half with Dad on this '55.)
Dad: "It's about time you owned something that was cool."

Damn. As we'd say in the '90's, "guess he told me." I thought the Celica was cool. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment