Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dissertation Defense!

On Thursday, June 9, I set out from Durham, North Carolina in a shiny, dark blue 2011 Nissan Altima (awesome rental car, by the way) to Memphis, Tennessee to defend my dissertation on the morning of Friday, June 10. I knew the drive would be at least 11 hours...the longest driving trip I had taken by myself. Luckily, the drive was all I-40, and there was a city every couple of hours or so...Greensboro, Asheville, Knoxville, Nashville, and then Memphis.

On the way to Memphis...I just can't get away from inmates...


This is the way Memphis Police roll now... this was the only thing I noticed that had changed.


Almost to the University for the last time!


Only in Memphis.

Before the defense...a little nervous...


On the way back...the Smoky Mountains were beautiful.




Tunnel through the Smoky Mountains


Overall, the trip was a total of 43.5 hours, and I drove 1,444 miles in 23.5 hours. I have slept an inordinate amount of time yesterday and today. I didn't realize how exhausted I would be after finishing this process!

The bottom line - I have a few corrections to make and some paperwork to complete. So two years after this project started, it is now complete. About time.

No comments:

Post a Comment