Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Day of Thought

It is no secret that I have been evaluating what is important to me and what I want in my life. I realize that I enjoy the simple things much more than the elaborate. Some of my favorite, simple things from my morning thoughts:
1. watermelon. yum. one of my favorite things about summer.
2. driving around with my windows rolled down and the music turned up
3. a phone call, text, email, or note from a friend just to say hello
4. a smile from someone across the room
5. sunshine and a slight breeze
6. kids' laughter
7. what I consider comforts - air conditioning, heat, a working car, electricity and cable
8. the ability and desire to learn and teach others
...and the list keeps going.

This afternoon, while I was contemplating what I would write for today's blog, I came across a "Question of the Day" website (http://www.questionofthedaybook.com/?utm_source=Jane+Friedman+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d2b0ca86d8-Newsletter_1_6_Exploring_the_Muse_6_18_2011&utm_medium=email).

It flashes questions every few seconds...this one seemed important to me today during my reflection (not a direct quote):
What is missing from your life that you got from another person that is no longer with you?

I had a long talk with my Dad today. Amongst many things we discussed, we talked about the differences in the chopper world over the past 10 years. My Dad was contemplating coming up to go to a bike show next weekend until we realized that all of the guys we used to see won't be there. Indian Larry is dead. Billy Lane is in jail. Paul Cox and Keino have opened their own shops and are doing different things. Who knows what Jesse James is doing these days? The chopper world as we knew and enjoyed it is gone. To answer the question...there are a couple of things that are now missing. One is the lifestyle...going to shows with my Dad, seeing these guys in their element, and being around the bikes and the culture. The second is obviously just not having them around, not seeing their new creations, and not having them to influence the greater chopper arena (which is SORELY lacking now). What I gained is inspiration...these guys were doing exactly what they wanted to do in life, especially Larry.

Thinking about where I draw my inspiration brought me back to my thoughts this morning. The most simple thing I can do in my life is to do exactly what I want to do. Now if I could just figure that out....

No comments:

Post a Comment