Friday, February 5, 2010

Matching & Internship: How this works

As you may have noticed while reading my blog and looking at the amazing adventures I had in January, I have completed my interviews for internship. The process is a "matching" system, similar to that of medical doctors and other health-related professionals (if you are familiar with those disciplines). For those of you that aren't familiar, I had to submit my ranked order list of sites this past Wednesday. Basically, I numbered the sites in the order I would like to go to them, starting with #1. (Because there are many rules surrounding this process and we are on the internet, I will refrain from stating my #1 until after the process is complete.) Anyway, the sites also create a ranked order list of all of the applicants that they are interested in having as interns. Both lists go into a computer system, and the system tries to match me with the most preferred site on my list. In previous years, students from my program received their first or second choice. My top 3 choices were very hard to distinguish between as they were awesome, so I am hoping for one of the top 3 on my list.

I will find out on Friday, February 19th if I matched to a site. If I matched, I will find out on Monday, February 22nd where I will be going next year. It will continue to be a nerve-wracking couple of weeks, but I am excited about the possibilities that are available to me. And no, I have not started packing yet...but I would like to!

On the school side, the BOP IRB is reviewing my application to complete my dissertation research. Hopefully I will hear good news from them soon about an approval. I have a couple of classes that I am taking this semester and two to teach; everything is going well. Because of interviews, I am two or three weeks behind in work, but I am making great strides and plan to be caught up by the end of the weekend.

Thank you all for your texts, emails, voice mails, and Facebook posts while I was traveling. While I did not enjoy the winter weather and difficulty driving/riding, I did enjoy my visits to new and exciting places and the time I got to spend with my Dad and the open road. A special thanks to my Dad for doing almost ALL of the driving and both of my parents for helping cover some of the costs for interview expenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment