Friday, April 16, 2010

Finished Week 1 of the Couch 2 5K Running Plan

In order to try to get back in shape and lose some of this excess weight I've accumulated, I thought I would start running. After all, lots of people do it and it doesn't look that hard.

What I've learned so far: those people just make it look really easy!

The plan is set in minutes of how much you should jog or walk for a total of 20 minutes. The first day, I thought I was going to die every time I jogged. My competitive spirit kicked in, and it was about finishing. The second day, I made it through about half of the jog times before I thought I was going to die. By then, I was almost finished and refused to quit. Today, I made it through almost all of the jog times before I was really tired. And the bonus is that I wasn't heaving for breath today after each jogging minute. Also great news - I'm not sore this afternoon at all. Big improvement from Monday!

A friend of mine gave me a really nice watch so I can keep up with the jogging/walking time. I ordered a new band for it, so I should be able to run outside soon. The hard part will be waking up to run before it gets too hot outside.

I am also going to buy actual running shoes this afternoon. It's a necessity; there's no way I can get around using what I have. That's not working at all.

Will update you next week after I complete week 2, which increases the amount of time you must jog and therefore decreases the amount of time you walk. We'll see how that works out!

Link to the Couch to 5K plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Running outside is way different than running on a treadmill. A lot more fun, but you have hills and small inclines you don't have inside. I am proud of you. It does get easier!

    ReplyDelete